Re: [Shop-talk] battery chargers

To: "Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] battery chargers
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:09:37 -0500
Well, I'm not sure where to start.  Some of these devices are very
simple.  really just a big transformer and some diodes.  Maybe a
mechanical timer and a meter.  There should be a circuit breaker in
there as well.  This type should be relatively easy to diagnose with
a voltmeter.  Some more "advanced" models have electronics inside.  A
circuit board "brain" that controls the rate of charge, etc.  One can
still check the basics with a voltmeter, but if the fault is in the
electronics it may get a bit more difficult.  If you figure out the
exact model numbers, you may be able to search around for owners
manuals, schematics and parts listings on the web.  If you think that
you're in over your head and you have a bunch of these to work on,
perhaps the best thing would be to find someone to help.  Maybe a
student who's into electrical stuff.  My son would be glad to do it
if you were nearby, but PA is a little out of range.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net