Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems

To: "'Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA USA'" <gsteve@hammatt.com>, "'Shop
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS Systems
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:52:48 -0500
I was in West Marine on "Black Friday" and they were having a special on the
Garmin 355w for $119.95 (try to beat that!)I have played around with it in
my home territory and have found that it quite consistently chooses the
route I usually travel. If you do "go home" and decide to go "off route" to
pick up some milk it will annoy you with "recalculating" until you get back
on track....I also order the topographical chip for the central plains
states (I know that somebody is saying, "Why do you need a topographic chip
for Kansas? There is no topography there!)because when we are at the ranch
during the summer we are regularly on township roads ("road" is sometimes
being kind)that don't have real names......they are often just referred to
as "the road to so and so's place" I am anxious to see how this feature
works. I hope the terrain feature helps us identify locations.

Gerry