Re: [Shop-talk] Silverado HD2500 Service Brake System

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Silverado HD2500 Service Brake System
From: Ben Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:27:49 -0500
You've got a fault in the ABS electronics.  Is there a separate brake
idiot light?  Is it on?  Is the message "red" or "yellow"?  If there's a
red tell-tale (light or message) then its trying to tell you to do
something immediately (like add fluid).  If its yellow or white its
suggesting its not urgent but you should have it serviced "soon".

Agree that you'll need to read the code to tell what to do.  The generic
OBD scan tools typically only read "emissions related" faults and you'll
have to either use an OEM tool or purchase an "upgrade" to a generic
tool to read OEM-specific codes (this includes ABS, air bags and other
body electronic systems).  Some OEMs are extra nice and include the
non-emissions-related fault codes on their "public" list, but I don't
know if GM is in that camp or not.

Good luck,

Ben.....

Ben Zwissler