[Shop-talk] Remote electric meter reading?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter reading?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 20:32:36 -0500
Hey Guys,
I've been looking into ways to monitor electrical consumption of some
large items around the shop and house.  Found a few places selling add
in meters like the "ted" I've seen discussed here.

Then it occurred to me... the power company's meter on the side of the
building it remote readable.  Is there any way I can get remote readings
from it myself?  My power company seems to have guys in vehicles that
cruise the neighborhoods and read from up to a couple hundred feet away.
  Sounds like it's RF based?  But googling hasn't turned up much info on
it.  Any ideas?

-Wayne