Re: [Shop-talk] can I safely heat up a black iron clean out?

To: "Mark Andy" <marka@maracing.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] can I safely heat up a black iron clean out?
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:32:59 -0500
The cast iron can 'take the heat' but I'd be wary if there are any joints
nearby. In the olden days the joints were often packed with a fibre material
and then lead was poured into the space above the fibre stuff.

I would assume the nub on the top of the cleanout is for a pipe wrench. A
pipe wrench has teeth to bite and hold onto the item being wrenched upon.
Some penetrating oil applied an hour or a day before attempting to remove
might help. I like PB Blaster. Kroil is another well regarded product. A big
pipe wrench has the advantage of more leverage.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell