Re: [Shop-talk] dish pointing

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dish pointing
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:13:50 -0600
David,

Sounds good to me. The transponder number are really not what you need
to be looking at, but the satellite azimuth. The transponders are all on
the same satellite, but are pointed at different areas. The receiver
will select the transponder with the best signal. As for the satellites,
all TV channels are not all on all satellites. That is why if/when you
upgrade to HD, they have to add either an additional feed horn to your
existing dish, or an entirely new dish pointing at the HD satellite.
Around here (Central Texas) we use 110 and 118 for normal channels and
(I think) something in the 60's for HD.

FWIW, we get good heavy downpours from time to time, and we loose
signal, even though we have near 100% signal strength on the on-screen
aiming. We have 2 dishes, one about 12 years old, and another one about
2 years old, which I aimed to get best signal. They both drop out in
heavy rain, but not fog/medium rain. Neither are HD.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David Hillman, On 1/20/2010 10:21 AM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001