Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Testing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, "Dan and Jenny Fest \(Coles Nurseries
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical Testing
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:14:52 -0800 (PST)
Generally a coil should show something like 3-5 ohms between the low-tension
terminals, and thousands of ohms from the high-tension terminal to low-tension
terminal.  Six-volt coils have less resistance between the low tension
terminals.  There should be infinite resistance from any terminal to the case.
Naturally if you have a known-good coil of the same type, you can compare its
measurements with the ones from the questionable coil.

Make sure that
corrosion on the terminals is not preventing you from getting an accurate
reading.

I never go to a swap meet without a multimeter in my bag.  When I
went to Hershey last fall, this allowed me to cherry-pick a good Model A coil
from a bunch, and test a big electric soldering iron before buying it.

As for
battery chargers, I would expect at least 15 volts between the terminals with
no battery connected, but this would be very dependent on the type of circuit
they have.   It would be better to test them by measuring the current they
supply to a battery.  Chargers with a built-im meter are self-testing :-)
Doug

--- On Thu, 1/21/10, Dan and Jenny Fest (Coles Nurseries Inc)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 7:31 PM
am interested in testing two
> items... I am working on an antique car which

has a coil.  I have a few lying around and wondering
> if I can test them

somehow ?? I've bought a few new ones which don't seem to
> be any good and

would like to test them as well.

> Also, I have a few car battery charger
lying around.