Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] more water heater
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:41:21 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

So, put in the water heater, and switched everything over to flexible
connections.

I'm not sorry to have done that, but I'd also do things a little
differently next time...

First, if your fixed connections are like mine, when you take away the
fixed connection at the water heater, they're pretty floppy.  So plan on
needing to add some hangers to locate the hot/cold/gas pipes a little
better.

Also, the flexible water connections (stainless braided ones, at least)
aren't going to flex a lot without crimping.  I didn't cut off enough pipe
for fear of having the connections end up too short and in the end they
were a couple inches too long.  Its in there now, but it'd sure look a lot
better if the pipes were a couple inches shorter (the hard lines are
shoved up pretty good to make room).  I suppose I could get some 12" flex
connections instead of these 18" ones that came in a water heater
connection kit, then make up a 3" or so threaded riser/adapter, but I
think what I'll really do is concentrate on not looking at it for a while,
and see if it still bothers me in a couple weeks.

Anyway, figured I'd post my results, particularly the bit about needing to
brace the no longer fixed end connections a litlle more if you're moving
to flex connections.

Mark