Re: [Shop-talk] IR temperature meter

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] IR temperature meter
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:45:10 -0500
Hi, Randall, Arvid & others,

    Thanks for the links.  I've seen & read Omega's ads (including their
Dilbert comics) for years.  Just never looked at their detailed info on
infrared thermometers.  In fact, their "low-cost" meter ($85) specifically
lists the emissivity as 0.95.

    Your statement "it's my belief that most casual users are unaware of the
problem" would have applied to me until this discussion.  So my thanks to
you and everyone else who chipped into the discussion for the enlightenment.

    And Arvid - yes you hit it right on the head with "Therefore it would be
reasonable to conclude that if you are using a
non-tunable meter and are measuring items with emissivity values that
deviate far from .95 then the reading that you get are suspect."

    Now if I can ever stretch the tool budget to include one of these I
should be able to use it correctly.

Mark