Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:18:00 -0800
> For the people here that think the government is trying to
> deal GM a better hand, you are giving WAY TOO much credit to
> our government.

Oddly enough, I actually see it the other way around.  From my vantage, it
looks like the NHTSA (at least) was deliberately trying to sweep this
problem under the carpet.  After that CHP officer & his family were killed,
it took some pretty determined digging by the news media to ferret out all
the "mis-filed" reports of similar incidents and reveal the true statistics:
http://tinyurl.com/ykom485

But in fairness, I don't think they were trying to favor anyone except
themselves.  If there are no problems, the folks at NHTSA have a lot less
work to do, and they get paid the same whether there are recalls or not.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by
incompetence."

-- Randall