Re: [Shop-talk] Winding clocks with pull chains

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Winding clocks with pull chains
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:22:50 -0800
> For example the instruistions that came with
> out Seth Thomas (circa 1911) state that the hands are ONLY to
> be moved counter clockwise.

Really?  Dad had some old Seth Thomas clocks (not sure of the exact vintage,
but pre-WWI) and they would jam if you turned the hands backwards.  It also
got the chime counter out of sync if you went forward too fast.  The proper
procedure AFAIK was to turn forward until the chimes were tripped, then wait
for the chimes to finish before turning any further.

The wife's antique cuckoo clock is the same way, when changing the time you
must have the cuckoo weight in place and let it cuckoo at each interval
before moving on.  I think the newer ones don't require the pauses, but
still want to be turned forward.

But no doubt it varies from clock to clock.

> but I don't understand why the 8 day variety is
> > handled differently.

My understanding is that 8-day movements use heavier weights, so the weight
is more of an issue.  Probably they also tend to be newer movements, which
may translate to better chain handling (less likely to jump the sprockets)
inside.

-- Randall