Re: [Shop-talk] Weird machine screw

To: Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Weird machine screw
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:25:16 -0500
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Gerald Brazil <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>wrote:

> Are you likely to have any parts from a pre 1960 British car in your loose
> screw can? It might be Whitworth.(though I've never seen any very small
> Whitworth screws myself)
>
> Even in the early 60's there was a Whitworth thread hidden in most British

More than that.  There's nothing wrong with BS threads.  In a lot of ways,
they're superior to UN or SAE threads. (There are very few whitworth
fasteners on any postwar  automobile.  The difference is one of the size of
the heads (and nuts) of a given thread size.  BSF threaded fasteners were
always made with a head one size smaller than Whitworth fasteners (so you'd
have to use a smaller wrench, and couldn't put as much torque on the
fastener, largely).  During the war, bolt and nut makers started making
Whitworth threaded fasteners with smaller heads, as a steel saving measure.
They never went back, and the practice was codified as BS 1083 in 1951.

The difference between BSF and (coarse thread) whitworth is the reason that
many spanners are marked with two dimensions, for example 5/16BSF 1/4W.
Later tools mostly omit the reference to the whitworth size.

BS threads hung on a lot later than you might think; even in *american*
industry.  The rounded roots and crests of Sir Joesph's threads make them
more suitable for use in soft materials, and they hung on in aluminum and
some cast parts until metrification.  The last common use of them that I'm
aware of is the thread on camera tripod fittings.  Dart tips are screwed
onto the body with a BA thread.

cars.....it was the on the screw lug on the starter. It required a Whitworth
> nut to fit it properly. Legend has it that a supply of these lugs and nuts
> were discovered in a bombed out factory in France after the war and Lucas
> bought the lot and continued to use them on their starters until they
> exhausted the supply......One more reason to curse Lucas, The Prince of
> Darkness...
> \

complete and utter malarkey.

--