Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve
From: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 04:52:50 -0600
<< So, how does a power failure close a latching valve? >>

Good question Randall, but not quite the one I have for everybody.

Now everyday when I unlock the door to my shop I flip two switches, [ 1
for ceiling perimeter lights and 1 for light over the entry door], then
I walk to other side of main shop and flip on another switch [for light
over roll-up doors] and then I rotate the ball-shut-off/on valve on top
of my compressor [to 'on' <G>].  At the end of the day I reverse my
steps AND actions.  Not "too" complicated methinks <G> !!

Been doing above for 20+ years roughly 7 days a week.  In the last
roughly 3.75 years since my NEW compressor was installed, the
hour clock that I added tells me that as of the time I write this,
I have 200.2 hours on said compressor even tho my piped system
ALSO has a few small leaks.

So the question is;  WHY spend ANY effort and MONEY for all
the work/materials that are just plain NOT needed ???

<< For the valve I looked at, the coil draws about 6 watts. That means,
if I were to somehow turn pro and power this rig 8 hours a day, 5 days a
week, 50 weeks a year; it would cost me a whole $1.80 for solenoid
power. Hardly seems to justify the extra cost and complexity of using a
latching valve;  especially since a more realistic use schedule for me
would be under 100 hours/year. >>

I could 'afford' the buck eighty but dam*ed if I will WASTE my hard
earned money on something NOT needed.

The dollars anybody spending on fixing something SIMPLE with
something complex [with built-in failure] would make a nice dinner
out with my SWMBO <VBG> !!!!!

Ed