Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:09:43 -0500
john niolon wrote:

> I've got an old big wheel mower that uses chain driven drive wheels
> against the big wheels to propel the mower...
> <...>
> the rear wheel is 20" , the drive wheels are constant speed... which
> will drive the big wheel faster ?  a smaller diameter drive wheel or
> a larger one.

If I understand, your mower has a chain driven wheel that turns a larger
wheel that moves the mower along the ground.

If that's the case, a larger chain driven wheel will make it go faster.

The chain driven wheel is rotating at a constant speed, so it cover a
larger "distance" if it is bigger around, which in turn will cause the
regular wheel to cover a larger distance.

Of course, it will have less "power" to move the mower along if it's
geared higher to go faster...

Tim Mullen

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96