Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor freight air line

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Harbor freight air line
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:15:16 -0500
David wrote:

C  It's always Yugo: there's no quality control.  So if you get a good thing,
it's good.  And if you don't, it's crap.

Like I said, Ibve had a different experience.  I have an oil impact that I use
all the time for wheels, etc.  It works just fine.  It cost $15.  I have my
$200 Ingersoll Rand impact when I need something more.

I have air drills, sanders, grinders, cut off wheels, chisels, and ratchets.
All are still going strong after many, many years.  I donbt make my living
using them, just use them occasionally on the weekends.  If it fails, it was
cheap most have not failed me.  I can use my $10 air powered cut off tool the
four or five times a year that I need it for 20 years.  Or I could go buy a
name brand one for $200 and still use it for 20 years.  The $10 one is much
more cost effective for my level of use.

Same thing with the air hoses.  At least one of my hoses was bought from a name
brand store, the rest are Harbor Freight.  After 20 years, I couldnbt tell you
which was which as they are all still working  (I have several 50 foot long air
hoses that I can connect together to get to the back corner of the yard when
necessary).

If you make you living with your tools, then by all means get the name brand,
quality tools (Snap-On, Craftsman, SK, etc.).  For occasional use, Harbor
Freight works fine for most things.  Itbs pretty easy to justify buying a $10
air powered cut-off tool if I have to cut a hunk of angle iron.  Otherwise,
Ibd have to use a hacksaw as a $200 tool would be hard to justify.

Just check what you are getting b buy the Chevy stuff, not the Yugo stuffb&

Tim Mullen

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive