Re: [Shop-talk] car a/c work

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] car a/c work
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:32:45 -0700
> How do I test for leaks since the system is virtually empty?

What the pros do is pressurize it with dry nitrogen, and use soap bubbles to
locate leaks.

Personally, I would probably start by replacing the compressor and orifice
tube (if that's what it uses).  The compressor seals will almost certainly
be dried out and leaking by now.  Most likely all the soft lines are due
too, especially if you are converting from R12 to R134.

And just BTW, it's a violation of federal law to service A/C without a
license.  You might want to be a little discreet about not having one, or
perhaps even consider getting one.  You can study on your own and just take
the test; or there are lots of schools around.

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive