[Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] MIG welding Aluminum
From: <nogera2@att.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:25:28 -0500
I'm restoring an aluminum bodied car and have some tears in the aluminum. I
have a Hobart 135 MIG welder that has worked nicely for me on steel panels
but my tank is a carbon dioxide tank not Argon.
 Before I invest in an Argon tank, is welding .050 aluminum with a MIG
welder going to be about like welding 22 g  steel or am I likely to screw up
the panels?  The tears are all less than a inch long.
  FWIW the price of the Argon tank will be about what I would have to pay a
local shop to do the welding  but I prefer doing it myself if possible.

Thanks in advance for any information

Bob Nogueira

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96