Re: [Shop-talk] Filber Glass batting

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Filber Glass batting
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:39:52 -0400
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/3yant6c
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I am certainly no expert, but it looks to me like industrial grade (rather
> than body shop) fiberglass mat; as used for molding large items from
> fiberglass (like hot tubs).
> http://hubpages.com/hub/fiberglass-mat

Fiberglass roving comes in all sorts of different forms.  Different
weights (usually expressed oz/sq yd, but sometimes gsm, or something
else) and different fiber orientations, woven (like cloth, only sort
I've seen used for auto repair) and nonwoven, in needle felted,
thermally bonded, and just chopped up.

> It also looks to be somewhat separated, from long storage. B As I
understand
> it, if it has also gotten damp, it may be useless now. B Fiberglass mat
tends
> to hold water, which interferes with the resin bonding properly to the mat.
> Or so I've been told, anyway.

that's what I"ve been told, too.
--
David Scheidt