[Shop-talk] Dead weed eater

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Dead weed eater
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:37:29 -0700
I have an old green and yellow Weed Eater string trimmer my wife got
from her late father.  It has a single line tap-to-feed head and until
recently worked fine.  Recently the wife complained that it was starting
and stopping and not running well.  Today it wouldn't run at all.  I
took it all apart, switch seems good, nothing obviously wrong with the
motor.  It's a typical wound rotor, permanent magnet brush type motor. I
put the motor on the bench and tried it with test leads, nothing.  I
took it apart and cleaned the commutator with a wire wheel and ran an
awl down the commutator sections. Still nothing.  Brushes are good,
plenty of length.  When I was looking at the cord a little later I
discovered one leg had a resistor and .01 mf ceramic capacitor in
parallel in the line.  The cap looks a little beat up.  Any idea what
they are for?  Any ideas on the motor?

(I just bought her a new Stihl corded electric trimmer, so it's mostly
academic at this point but I would still like to know.)

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums