Re: [Shop-talk] push to talk (nextel) amplifier

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] push to talk (nextel) amplifier
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:08:46 -0400
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM, john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com> wrote:
> hi guys.... and happy Independence Day...
>
> we use Nextel direct connect (push to talk) for most of our company
> communications... but lots of our people work in construction trailers and the
> signal in/out sucks... you wind up going outside to make a ptt or phone
> call...
>
> anyone got any plans or ideas for a 'booster' or amplifier that I can build
> with an external antenna and an internal pickup ?????

Willing to spend $500 to $1000 a site?  If so, you can get an active
booster, which consists of a fixed outside antenna (directional, if
you need that, pointed at the best line of sight tower), an inside
antenna, and a bi-directional amp to link the two together.  The
antennas are easy; the amp is hard (and if you could build it, you
wouldn't be asking us.).  There are perfectly good commercial products
to do this.

(And, unrelated to the technical problems, the cellular companies are
working very hard to get them banned, so they can rent them to you at
exorbitant prices.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com