[Shop-talk] fiberglass repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] fiberglass repair
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 23:49:01 GMT
I picked up an older Tigershark PWC project and after a few days of cleaning &
tinkering, took it out this weekend and the kids had a blast with it.  I'll
consider it a successful shakedown, but now I have a punch list to work off.
The only item I don't have a good grasp on is a little hull repair.  It looks
like where the bottom of the left side of the hull forms a chine was run up on
something and took some damage - I believe it is leaking into the engine
compartment (it was dripping from there when I pulled the PWC out of the water
on the trailer but before I pulled the plug...

My fiberglass experience consists of resining in some cloth over a rusty boot
bottom, but this looks a little more involved.  I understand the need to grind
down to sound material, but how should I replicate the chine edge.  While I
was shopping for a can of resin and some cloth I spied a 3m product next to
the bondo called "fiberglass jelly".  It looked like it is a fiberglass based
form of bondo.  I believe I could easily replicate the hull shape with that
but am not sure of how strong it would be.

Any suggestions?

TIA!
Matt in Columbus GA

Free Credit Score
A bad credit score is below 598. Click here to see yours for $0. Checking
won't affect your score. By Experian&#174
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c326f8eea1bb1b2d60st02vuc

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive