Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lawn mower engine & blade question
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 21:39:20 -0400
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 06:41:13PM -0400, David Scheidt wrote:
> Mine is : don't buy a piece of shit with the blade directly coupled to
> the engine.  There's no excuse other than "we hired an idiot to design
> the thing" or "we're selling cheap shit for high end money" for it.

The problem with belt-driven mowers is their bulk.  Small (21-22") belt drive
mowers exist but the one I saw use the same bulky design as its commercial
walk-behind cousins -- the blade assembly sat about a foot in front of the
engine.  Not going to find many homeowners, even those who routinely spend
$500+ for push mowers, willing to give up that much garage space.

(Is there a reason the pulleys aren't closer together?  Are longer belts
more durable?)

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive