Re: [Shop-talk] Shop light problems - update

To: "'Gerard'" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop light problems - update
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:51:00 -0700
> The last time I looked at a spec sheet, there were four numbers, for 3
> and 12 hour run times, using IS and RS ballasts.  The IS life time was
> about 50% of the RS for 3 hour run time, and about 80% for 12 hour.

Ok, this is the first T8 spec sheet I found.  It gives only two numbers (for 3
and 12 hour run times), saying they apply for rapid start, programmed start
and instant start ballasts.

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/ecatalog/fluor/pdf/p-5338e.pdf

They do quote "competitor" data showing somewhat shorter bulb life with
instant start, but the difference is more like 20-25%, not 50%.  No doubt it
would get worse with shorter cycles, but that still doesn't necessarily mean
it's better to leave the light on when you're not using it.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/fluorescent_lights.html

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96