Re: [Shop-talk] Heat pump night setback

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heat pump night setback
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:05:07 -0500
It might be BS, but you could do your own experiment.  Set it one way
one night and record your electric meter readings before and after, then
the next day set it a different way and try it again.  Just be sure to
read the meter at the same times each day.

> We just had a heat pump system installed to replace our propane furnace.
>  We had no A/C before, either.  We kept the propane for emergency heat.
>  My question is how low can you set the night setback and still have a
> reasonable recovery in the morning.  Right now I have it set for 69*
> heating and 65* on night setback in the heating mode.  Night SB kicks in
> at midnight, back up at 8:00 AM.  I'm not going to worry about the A/C
> part until next summer.
>
> The problem is my wife has been told by apparently "several people" that
> any more than a 4 degree night setback will cause the compressor to run
> excessively the next day to bring the heat back up, wiping out most of
> the energy savings from setting the temperature back.  Frankly, this
> sounds like BS to me, but I thought I would get some other opinions from
> people who have BTDT.  I would prefer about an 8 to 10 degree setback,
> but if 4 is the most recommended, I guess it's better than nothing.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums