Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic trailer brakes
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:01:29 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Steven Trovato wrote:
> I have a Draw-tite Activator brake controller.  I bought it because I needed
> something, and the mounting flexibility was a plus.  This controller applies
> an amount of braking selected by the operator, and the rate at which brake
> force is applied is also selected by the operator.  It is adequate, but the
> brake application is never perfect.  If I set it high enough to work properly
> at highway speed, I get too much braking when trying to gradually slow to a
> traffic light.  Anyway, the other type of controller uses actual sensed
> G-force measurements to figure out the proper amount of trailer braking.
> This type usually wants to be straight and flat, to properly sense
> deceleration.  But it should be better at applying the right amount of
> braking in varied conditions.  I think I'm getting ready to give one of those
> a try.

This is probably a pretty late reply and may have already been mentioned,
but the short answer is to buy a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.  Its
proportional, doesn't need to be mounted flat (but may need to be mounted
inline... Not sure, as I've done all mine that way anyway), and doesn't
need to have a "level" set.  It also has a nice digital read out that
tells you how much voltage its sending back.

Online you can find them for $100.  Its not worth screwing with any other
brake controller, IMHO.

Mark

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96