[Shop-talk] 2004 Toyota Tacoma towing package

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] 2004 Toyota Tacoma towing package
From: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:18:45 -0400
Does anyone on the list have experience with a 2004 Tacoma factory tow
package?

I bought a 2004 Tacoma from a Toyota dealer in 2006.  The window sticker with
the VIN listed on it showed the optional tow package was on the truck.

I now have need to tow a trailer with a car on it and find that the truck does
not have the tow package.  The dealer is willing to install an oil cooler at
his expense.  This sounded fair to me but I have some reservations.  I thought
the factory package also included a larger radiator, alternator and battery.
I can't seem to find out whether this is true.

The dealer says that there was nothing else included in the factory package
other than the trans oil cooler.  All I really want is to be legal and safe
towing up to the factory tow package limit.  That is what I paid for and why I
purchased a Toyota certified truck.

Does anyone know what was included with the tow package and have an opinion on
whether the oil cooler is really all I need to be legal and safe?  I usually
keep my vehicles a long time and would like the truck to give me good
service.

Thanks.  I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html