Re: [Shop-talk] 35mm slide scanner?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 35mm slide scanner?
From: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:29:26 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> Interesting.  One of my projects in the years I worked at the U of U
> was to get a box working with our computers, a box that took a
> digital image and put it on film, slides or Polaroids.
>
> Now I'm interested in going the other way.  I have a bunch of
> slides from my previous life as a an avid skier, climber and
> general man about the mountains.  I'm planning to write up
> some of my adventures and would like pictures to go along with
> them, taken from the collection of old slides.
>
> I know there are slide scanners out there, anyone have any
> experience with such beasts?

When I looked into this for us, unless you were going to have a continuing
need the answer was to just pay someone to scan the slides for you.
ScanCafe.com was who we used, with very good results.

The reason is that good scanning equipment was costly and good scanning
equipment that was also fast enough to deal with a number of slides was
extra special costly.  For us, it was a one time deal to get old photos
digital and there'd be no need once we'd done it once, so ScanCafe.com was
cheaper, easier, and took a lot less time.

Mark

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive