Re: [Shop-talk] Air line driers---WAS Plasma cutters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air line driers---WAS Plasma cutters
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:40:21 -0500
At 02:14 PM 1/5/2011, you wrote:

 >Since the subject of "dry air" has come up, let's talk about compressor line
 >driers. At some point I would like to learn how to paint my own
cars, but for
 >now, I am not in need of a line drier that good/nice/expensive.
 >
 >What I really need right now (well, this coming spring/summer) is a fairly
 >affordable line drier for my compressor. I have a 80 gallon Porter
Cable unit
 >that works well enough for what I have used it for so far.
 >
 >Recommendations with web site links would be great! I live in Southern WI so
 >we get pretty humid here in the summer.

Tim,

As for a web site, check out:
http://www.tptools.com/lp2/Tech_Notes.html

and inparticular:
http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf

If you check out my article on media plasting:
http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/blasting/mediablast.html

You'll want your dryer away from the compressor output a ways.  Otherwise the
air is moving so quickly at the output connection there is NO time (chance) for
any of the moisture to be condenced out of the air.  So I made  a
copper cooling
coil (which is what is in the bucket) by coiling the copper tubing around a 2 L
coke bottle.  I can fill the bucket with water (and even add a frozen
water filled
2L plastic coke bottle) to help cool the air coming out of the
compressor.  Then
you my dryer is attached to the left hand back 2x4 of my work bench.

Hope this helps.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229