Re: [Shop-talk] car dolly replacement casters

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] car dolly replacement casters
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:48:54 -0500
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> wrote:
> I found this place that targets your exact situation:
>
> http://www.tireskate.com/castersforchinese.php
>
> I haven't bought them, so I can't give them a first hand endorsement.

Seems rather Procrustean!  the dollies I've looked at have used a
threaded stem caster.  It should be no problem to find a stem caster
of the right size.

Last time I bought casters, we went to a local warehouse equipment
place.  They do conveyor rollers, and stuff like that.  They asked
wheel size, mounting style and measurement, what sort of floor they
were on, and sold us something suitable.   They're even rebuildable.
Weren't cheap, though.

McMaster, Grainger, et al all sell casters, and I suspect they're off
good quality (and they'll tell you what's junk, if you want junk.)
You want wheels with bearings, not just plain sleeves, and each should
be about a third the capacity of the dolly.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html