Re: [Shop-talk] Well pump alarm question

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well pump alarm question
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:55:06 -0800
> What I was wondering, is there any sort of device that I can
> make/buy that
> I can hook up to my water pump that will 'time' how long it is
> continuously running.  Then it sends an alarm after it has
> been running
> continuously for more than a preset length of time?

I don't know of a commercial device, but it shouldn't be too hard to build
something that would do.  Basically you just need a counter or clock that
starts at zero when the pump comes on, and sounds an alarm when the
count/time exceeds your threshold.

Here is one example, using the venerable NE555 timer chip:
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/555/555ex8.gif

For your purpose, you would substitute a relay coil for the "ID red" LED &
dropping resistor; plus a circuit that detected when the pump was running in
place of the "reset" button (so pins 2 & 4 are grounded when the pump is
off).  The alarm delay can be adjusted over a wide range by changing the RC
network on pins 6 & 7.  If the pump runs for longer than 1.1RC, the relay
gets activated and can set off whatever you want in terms of lights &
sirens.  Probably easier to use a 12v supply instead of the 9v indicated, so
you can use a standard 12v relay.

-- Randall

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96