[Shop-talk] Plasma cutters

Subject: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutters
From: jniolon at bham.rr.com (john niolon)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:41:09 -0600
Moose,
plasma cutters are handier than a shirt pocket... you can buy cheap and
expensive... I have an old Plasmark  with a transformer...that will handle
up to a 1/4".  it's as big as a dog house and weighs a ton (but it's on
wheels) new ones have an inverter and are lighter and cheaper... check ebay
or craigslists for those... basically you need the machine and DRY
compressed air... the tips are considered 'consumables' and they do make
drag tips so the gap is constant...  it's basically a point and click
operation... straight edges make it nice doing long straight cuts... cutting
hose length is important... more is better 15-20' is nice.  if it's less
than 10' you can't move around much without moving the unit. between $600
and a grand you can find one that will cut clean thru 1/2 and 'hack thru'
larger diameters...  ifn' it were me, I'd look for a used unit of the old
style... but Miller/Lincoln/China make some really affordable portable units
that will serve you well in a 'home owners' mode... high production work
needs the big boys name on it.

john