[Shop-talk] Home air cleaners

Subject: [Shop-talk] Home air cleaners
From: jibjib at att.net (Jack Brooks)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:40:00 -0800
Karl,

I just had a new Heat Pump installed and I had the installer add a 5 inch
filter slot because of the huge variety of industrial filter pads.  All my
local installer stocked was a standard 4 inch pleated filter, but there are
a lot of different pad materials out there, including meshes and
multi-layered filtration materials.  Do some searches and you may find what
you need.  Now that the system is installed, I'll get around to figuring out
what I want to use as a filter medium.

BTW - before replacing my system, I used two stages of filtration on my air
handler.  I used the cheap $1 blue air filters to catch the big stuff, and I
changed it monthly.  I used a very high filtration filter behind the cheap
filter, which caught a lot of what the old filter did not.  With the cheap
filter first in the system, this expensive filter stayed cleaner longer, so
I didn't feel badly about paying top dollar for a very high filtration
filter.  I also added a differential pressure gage (0-.2 inch Dwyer
Magnehelic - $18 new, delivered from EBay) across the filters as you should
restrict the static drop to somewhere around 1.5 inches of water pressure at
your filter to avoid overworking your fan.  1.5 inches is a SWAG number
tossed about in the HVAC world and is subject to the whims of your system.

I'm adding more return air ductwork as the returns are undersized and are
the most restrictive part of the system in my home.  This will allow some
more static drop to be available for filtration.  The DP (Differential
Pressure) gage also lets me know when the filters are dirty and its time to
change them.

Just some things I've done and thought about.

Jack