[Shop-talk] Snow Chains

Subject: [Shop-talk] Snow Chains
From: jibjib at att.net (Jack Brooks)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:46:09 -0800
> for fun, try going up (hill) a slippery driveway with front wheel
> drive facing forward, then reverse ...

This would be a good learning experience.

I've driven up McCullough Pass in VT (VT-17 just west of Mad River Glen)
BACKWARDS in my Saab, with front wheel drive and four snow tires, because it
loaded the driving wheels (front, now in the back) the best.  Going up
forwards, I was thwarted several times and I really did not want to chain
up.  It was below zero.

Oh, all three of us were in the front seats and some of the heavy luggage
from the trunk was in the back seat.  It was a comical sight, but we were
able to drive right up, where we couldn't in the normal driving
configuration.

Jack