[Shop-talk] Portable garage heater

Subject: [Shop-talk] Portable garage heater
From: wmc_st at xxiii.com (Wayne)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:26:36 -0500
On 1/31/2011 9:45 PM, PJ McGarvey wrote:
> So I'm thinking a torpedo style in the 35-55k BTU range would do the trick.  I
> already have a few 20# propane tanks around, and I don't think I'd like the
> smell of Kerosene much.   Does the torpedo style do a good job of pushing heat
> into the space?  Does it need alot of clearance in the front of it, or does it
> get too hot?   I have a 20' x 20' uninsulated, old garage with a peaked roof,
> and I run a ceiling fan up there when it's heated.
> Any particular brands to look for or stay away from?  Amazon has some pretty
> amazing looking deals on Mr. Heater brands.  I'd rather buy new and stay away
> from a used and potentially unsafe unit...   Based on reviews I'm leaning
> toward this unit:

I had a 30K btu propane Reddy Heater (they're out of business now) I
used in an attached garage in Ohio.  With insulation and shielding from
the house, it would get comfortable warm even down around 10s to teens
degree.

Now I have essentially the same heater in Western North Carolina.
Garage is basement under house, and partially below grade.  It only gets
down to high 40s even in relatively extreme cold.  The heater does a
great job of taking the chill off and getting it to 50s or 60s.  It
won't warm the slab or large objects, but keeps my fingers from getting
numb.  Besides, 50s feel pretty good if you're actively working.  They
claim it is "quiet and odorless" but that's bull.  It's pretty noisy,
and the propane fumes can get annoying and drift up into the house.  I
usually keep a door and window cracked for ventilation, and use that to
modulate temperature.

Kerosene heaters I've been around are much nosier and smelly.  A 20lb
propane tank is kinda marginal for the 30K heater.  It will develop a
thick layer of frost, and start to loose pressure.

Northern Tool had some decent looking propane units on sale recently.

-HTH, Wayne