[Shop-talk] Electrolytic Rust Removal on a large part

Subject: [Shop-talk] Electrolytic Rust Removal on a large part
From: opposumking at verizon.net (Nolan)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:54:59 -0500
I am far from a super well versed expert on electrolytic rust removal.
I've done it, enjoyed it, have a bucket and stuff for it.

When I first tried it, I used rebar, and was quite disappointed with the
results.  Don't remember what forum I was in discussing it, but someone
suggested I use something with a lot more surface area, like an old saw
blade.  Tried that, and the process really took off.   Surface area has
a tremendous effect on the process.  Far for than power does.

Did more playing, learning that gunk slows the process down also.  As in
gunk on the plate.  Reverse the charge for a few minutes every few hours
to knock the gunk off, and it keeps up the speed.

I had some old shop lamp reflectors that I sanded clean and hammered a
bit to fit inside my always handy 5 gallon bucket.  This lets me
surround the part with steel.  That's worked well for me.  But it really
isn't much faster than the old saw blade.   I'd expect the same sort of
results in a kiddie pool.