[Shop-talk] Wire gauge: 60 feet at 50A

Subject: [Shop-talk] Wire gauge: 60 feet at 50A
From: markmiller at threeboysfarm.com (Mark Miller)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:22:48 -0800
<<<

I need to run a 50amp circuit about 50 or 60 feet.

A calculator on the web says that 55' of 50amp circuit would require 10#
wire.  Does that sound right?  Anyone know what the code states?

I'm not sure you got the answer you were looking for but I just looked in
the NEC (old, 1999 version, but this stuff stays pretty much the same table
B-310-1) and the table reads that with THHN wire in a conduit you'd need at
least 6 gauge wire.  8ga maxes out at 48 amps, 6ga at 65 amps.  For direct
burial cable you can use 8ga.
The limits are based on temperature rise; there is much better heat flow
away from a buried cable than one in a conduit.

The calculator will give you the info for voltage drops, but you still must
meet the minimum wire gauge for the current.

Mark not a licensed electrician Miller