Re: [Shop-talk] Fwd: 3PT Hitch rolo tillers

To: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fwd: 3PT Hitch rolo tillers
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:45:32 -0800
Yeah, pretty much what Tony said.  I have a couple of tractors, an old
gray market early 80s vintage Mitsubishi 16 (or so) hp, and a newish New
Holland TC 30 30 HP.  Both have manual gear boxes.  The Mitsu has two
gear ranges, and the N.H. has three.  I have an Italian made tiller I
bought from a sort of farm supply closeout place about 12 or 15  years
ago.  I think it's about a meter wide.  My little Mitsubishi doesn't
have any trouble running the tiller, but I have to run it in low/low to
be effective.  Sometimes I can run it in low/2nd on the second pass if
the soil is dry enough.  They don't like gumbo clay, big rocks, or being
driven over a tarp (don't ask).  The little tractor does all I need to
do in terms of rototilling, but If I was going to do tractor work for
side jobs, I would probably get a 60 or 72" to run behind the New
Holland.  Your tractor shouldn't have any trouble running one at least
that big; your tractor guy can tell you how big you can go, but bigger
tillers ain't cheap.