[Shop-talk] historical machine shop question

Subject: [Shop-talk] historical machine shop question
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:34:06 -0500
At 06:30 PM 3/2/2011, you wrote:

 >Before the cheap electric motor, it was usual to run machines in a
 >shop from a central engine (steam, water, hamster wheel) with a big
 >endless belt running over head.  At each machine, a second belt
 >carried power from the overhead to the machine's driven shaft.  Is
 >there a general term for this sort of set up?

David,

All I've ever heard it called is "line"  for in-line.  We had a 1906 Lodge and
Shipley Line lathe.  It had a stepped drum for the belt to go up to
the overhead
drive shaft.  The lathe was modified by the addition of an electric
motor to turn
another drum then the belt down to the main drive drum.

I thought that was a fantastic lathe.  But dad sold it about 10 yrs
ago and bought
a newer, about 80 yrs newer, jet lathe.

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net