[Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV

Subject: [Shop-talk] Dish Network vs Direct TV
From: hillman at planet-torque.com (David Hillman)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:22:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, eric at megageek.com wrote:
> Actually, it's a little of both.  However, a well placed dish will
> eliminate almost all of the problems, IF you aren't in an area prone to
> electrical storms.  (I.e. some of Florida, etc.)
> This is most likely why to had different results with two services on
> different dishes in the same house.

    The results really weren't very different.  The internet signal was
slightly more reliable, but the huge majority of the time, they were
either both out, or both on.  I did have to build a ~15' brush to clear
snow off the internet dish since it was larger and exposed ( and doesn't
work at all when covered with snow ).

    I loved the satellite internet product for the first few years.  I used
to measure bandwidth higher than their support folks thought was possible.
Over time, though, as they added customers, it got slower and slower until
it finally wasn't worth it.  I doubt seriously I was getting "impossible"
throughput from a poorly-aligned dish.

> Like I said, I can count on one hand how many times I lost signal in the
> past 10 years.
> I also install Directv on all my rentals (and provide it as part of their
> rent).  Aside from the occasional receiver glitch, I've never had a
> problem.  Also, they have great customer service.

    I don't think I'm the only one... Googling "DirecTV thunderstorm"
yields a couple hundred thousand hits.

    This is probably going to come off like I'm some DirecTV-hater, but I'm
not.  I'm just a ex-customer who got what I think is a better deal
elsewhere.  That said, DirecTV is currently defending at least 2
class-action lawsuits for deceptive practices, and is rated F by the BBB (
http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357 ).  They also
paid the FTC the largest fine, ever, at the time, in 2005.

    Just FYI.

--
  David Hillman