[Shop-talk] dehumidifiers

Subject: [Shop-talk] dehumidifiers
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:39:11 -0700
Dan - I had a similar problem with an old Kenmore I picked up for $10.
It would ice up below about 65 degrees.  At 70-80 degrees it worked fine
and got a similar amount of water compared to my new dehumidifier when
both were run at the same time.

There are dehumidifiers for room temp and ones for lower temperature
ranges (search 'dehumidifier low temp').  I saw the other replies on it
being low on refrigerant and agree it could be a factor, but I'd also
try it in a warm location before junking it.

One option I did for a while was to take a small electric heater and
have it blow towards the air going into the humidifier.  This helped
lessen the icing most of the time back in my single days when I didn't
run the heat in my apartment.

You can also find more searching 'dehumidifier keeps freezing'

As a side note, the old dehumidifier was run a bunch with my first
daughter.  We used it to get her to sleep by putting her in her car seat
carrier on top of the unit (it was wide and flat).  The steady noise and
vibration worked surprisingly well.

Brian