Re: [Shop-talk] Is a fence part of a shop?

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Is a fence part of a shop?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:14:20 -0400
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM,  <eric@megageek.com> wrote:
> I want to keep my post shop related, but I'm not sure this one qualifies.
> Here goes, yell at me if I'm wrong.
>
> I have a wooden fence around my garden. B The posts are 4X4 2' in the
> ground.
>
> The problem is this time of year when I need to rototill. B I have a
> tractor mounted unit. B To use it, I need to remove one side of the fence.
>
> My question, is there a way to mount some sort of base to the 4X4 that
> would allow me to pull the posts out and place them back in easily?
>
> Since the gate in on this side, the post need to be tight when in the
> ground (so putting a sonotube in the ground would have too much play.)
>
> Any ideas or suggests?

PostShield.  http://www.postshieldusa.com/cs/
It's a pvc sleeve that you bury, usually setting in concrete, and
which takes a 4x4 post.  The posts are usually lag screwed to the
sleeve.  No good if you need to have smooth ground, but I don't think
you do, you just need to not run over them with your tractor.

If you need totally flat ground, there are solutions for steel fences
posts.  (complete with covers for the holes when the fence isn't
there).  I don't know brands though, just seen them.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html