[Shop-talk] aluminum floor jack

Subject: [Shop-talk] aluminum floor jack
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 20:07:13 -0400
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't know which model jack you have, but picking one at random from the
> HF web site, I see that the warranty is only 90 days (so you're out of luck
> there), and there are instructions for filling it.
> http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68054.pdf
>
> Before you give up repairing it, I would try calling their customer service
> department (believe it or not, there really is such a thing!) and see if
> they can order a repair kit for you. B I've gotten parts for other tools
from
> them in the past, and while it took a long time (over a month as I recall),
> I did eventually get the parts and the price was not unreasonable. B (Not
> cheap either, but better than throwing the tool away.)
> http://www.harborfreight.com/contact-customer-service/

It's worth a try, but lack of parts support is one of things that
really, really sucks about cheap imported hydraulic jacks.  In theory,
all of the parts that are likely to wear out are reasonably standard
things that should be available from multiple sources.  Hard to figure
that out except by taking the stupid thing apart, measuring, and
buying those, and its not worth it on junk.   The reason it's eaten
the seal (whether it's an oring or a cup seal) is because the
machining sucks.   My experience with cheap chinese jacks is that it's
the main seal on the piston that fails.  It's bigger than what's in
the oring assortments I and the hardware stores have, so it's got to
come from the bearing place or someone like McMaster, and that's just
too much work.  I might bother for alluminum jack, which are a bit
more expensive,  but if it's failed in a year or two, it'll fail again
in a year; the bore or piston isn't getting any better machined.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com