[Shop-talk] OFF TOPIC - wood splitting

Subject: [Shop-talk] OFF TOPIC - wood splitting
From: cavanadd at frontier.com (David C.)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:09:56 -0700
My experience splitting fir, hemlock, alder and a little maple is that
it's always easier to split when it's green.

I've used a maul and wedges, and I have owned a splitter for at least 15
or 20  years.  It was the best $795 I ever spent at the old Home Club
(one of the first big box, members only stores).  It'll split
horizontally or vertically.  I only use it vertically to bust big fir or
hemlock rounds into quarters, then split the pieces horizontally.  I
generally try to split it all in one place and have the tractor parked
where I can throw the split wood in the bucket.  When it's full I take
the tractor to the shed and stack it.  If I'm lucky, I can get the logs
close to the shed, split it there and have my wife stack it as it comes
off the splitter.  Goes pretty fast that way.

If you ever had to hand split a lot of gnarly old fir or hemlock that's
full of knots you would be looking for a splitter pretty fast.