Re: [Shop-talk] HIGH pressure compressed air?

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HIGH pressure compressed air?
From: Vincent Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:16:38 -0700
On May 31, 2011, at 5:51 AM, Wayne wrote:

> On 5/30/2011 11:47 PM, Scott Hall wrote:
>> Like 3000 p.s.i. high. Like they use to fill scuba tanks.
>> Is it even feasible? What sort of compressor generates that kind of
>> pressure?
>
> Manufacturing company I used to work for used tanks of compressed nitrogen
to pressure test hydraulics before fluid filling.  I think it was around 3,000
- 4,000 psi.  Pretty sure they got it from the welding supply place, along
with the other gas bottles.

Yeah, you can typically get Nitrogen at your welding supply store.  I use it
to run small air cannons that I need to be portable - the cannons are running
at ~ 150 psi, so they will run for a while off of a 3000psi nitrogen bottle.
Nitrogen seems to be the cheapest of the inert gasses, or at least was when I
priced it, which is why I use it.

Wayne is right - I regulated my nitrogen down right at the bottle, but if
you're working with the gas at very high pressure, make sure your lines and
fittings are rated for it.

-vin

> Just be damn sure you use appropriate pipe, fittings, etc rated to handle
it!  Jackass maintenance guy at the place used a plumbing grade fitting on one
of the test rigs, and it exploded off and nearly killed a guy.  Luckily it
narrowly missed and embedded itself in the wood roof 25 feet up.  Honestly,
it's pretty dangerous stuff and I wouldn't want it in my place.