Re: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:32:03 -0500
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:
> I boxed in some basement windows in a very not-square house, and there are
> some gaps between the boxes and the casing molding that rests on the sheetrock
> walls, some as large as 1/2". The homeowner would prefer the gaps filled in
> and smoothed out rather than me laying a piece of molding over it. Since the
> gaps haveo bottom, I thought I'd create a bottom with some minimally
> expanding foam and then fill the remainder with Bondo. I'm sure caulk would
> require many layers to stop shrinking, drywall mud would crack and wood
> filler...no idea but it has never worked well for me in smaller
> applications...

I'm not quite sure what exactly you've got going on, but it sounds
like the right thing to do is patch the drywall.  I've also used
various extruded polystyrene bits, and polyethylene closed cell foam
caulk backer pieces (typically cylinders of foam that you put in to
take up most of the space, sold for the purpose.)  But fixing the
drywall to match the window seems like it's the best solution (might
cost too much, of course.).  It's a whole lot easier to cut a few
inches more out and so you've three square sides, and just the
window's edge is uneven.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com