Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi to the garage

To: Bob Nogueira <bob@texmog.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi to the garage
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:03:47 -0500
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Bob Nogueira <bob@texmog.com> wrote:
> Ib ve been trying to use my laptop in the garage so I can listen to the
ball
> game while working. B Problem I am having is the garage is right on the
fringe
> of our wifi B network.
> What I have noticed is that the B strength will vary from 1 mbps to 11 mbps
> without moving the computer or anything changing. B When it falls to the
low
> side I loose the broadcast.
> Any simple tricks to increase the signal strength that tiny bit I need to
keep
> it from dropping out B right in the middle of a great play? B  Why does the
> signal strength change when noting else has changed?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions

11 mpbs suggests your using 802.11b.  Upgrading to G or N will get you
better speed and probably better range (particularly dual-band
802.11n, which has two sets of radio frequencies it can use).   Next
thing I'd look at is getting a directional antenna for your wireless
AP, and pointing it at the garage.

The varriance in signal strengh is likely interference.  the 2.4 Ghz
range used by 802.11b/g is crowded with stuff, from microwave ovens,
cordless phones, remote control toys, garage door openers, and of
course, your neighbor's wifi.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com