[Shop-talk] Cat 6 cable (and water) to the garage

Subject: [Shop-talk] Cat 6 cable (and water) to the garage
From: bk13 at earthlink.net (Brian Kemp)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:12:00 -0700
Jim - Depending on the length, it may be worth a little more labor to
install rigid PVC.  1 in. x 10 ft. Sch. 40 PVC Conduit is $2.58 at my
local Home Depot.  Assuming you have a 50' run, that is $12.90 for the
pipe vs $57.50 for the flex at the price below.  I know HD vs. McMaster
may not be an apples to apples, but it is worth a comparison.

As a side note, the PVC conduit can also be made flexible with a heat
gun.  Warm it on low for a minute or two then hold it in place for a
little bit and you have a custom piece with no fittings.  Heat all the
way around the pipe so you get a clean bend.  I don't recommend this for
a standard 90 or 45 fitting, but it is handy to use for small offsets.

Many areas will require schedule 80 for 110V exposed areas as it is more
durable.  That shouldn't matter for low voltage.

I agree with Mark to go with bigger conduit, especially over a long run
as it is much easier to pull wires with room.

Don't have a fish tape to get a pull string?  Tie a light string to
paper towel and wrap it with a bit of tape.  Feed it in one end and put
your vac on the other.  You can then pull small stuff with the string or
pull a heavier cord for tougher pulls.

Brian