Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well water installation
From: Jim Ferguson <jferguson@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:41:52 -0400
I had a spring tank system that worked well for about 30 years without a
problem.  I kept the spring enclosed and always had "spring lizards"
(salamanders) in it.  They are very sensitive creatures and are like the
canary in the mine on warning of problems with the water.  The people in
the country around here used these automatic water tester-cleaners for
generations without problems.  The water from my spring tank was always
very clear and clean but it was very acid.  I had to install a injector
pump to get the pH up to acceptable levels.  I was dissolving my copper
pipes.

Then a new neighbor drilled a well about 300 feet from my spring and my
flow rate dropped dramatically. During a dry period it almost stopped.
Fortunately the county had put in water lines about 500 yds through the
wood on an adjacent road.  I connected to the water line for a more
reliable source.  My spring system has since returned to a very good
flow since the neighbor moved and the new owner is only an occasional
resident.  So I have a reserve if needed.

I would be cautious of drilling a well too close to the spring or you
could loose the spring.  If you have a good reliable flow from the
spring I would build a good shelter enclosing the spring, get some
lizards and a pH tester and use it.  That assumes the lizard is alive
and well.  The enclosure should keep out most of the surface water silt
and critters.  I use screen wire on the inlet side of the tank.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums