[Shop-talk] Tunneling drain pipe down a hill?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Tunneling drain pipe down a hill?
From: eltonclark at gmail.com (Elton E. (Tony) Clark)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 23:34:01 -0500
*

Hmmm!  Interesting!

Using 4" plastic pipe for "drill-stem" with manual "wrenching" wouldn't be
able to
overcome the friction:  each 10' section would have 120 square feet of
surface area rotating in a dirt bore:  that would take serious torque; more
than the plastic could stand.

I'm thinking "hydraulic mining" a 4" hole
would take a 4" hose or pipe and firetruck pumping power and a "million"
gallons of water to do anything effective.

A 2-man gasoline powered posthole digger
with a 4" auger and a lot of 3 foot extensions
would be almost  workable but a rock or root
would jam it or a joint would fail at some depth and you'd end up just
giving the whole string a decent burial!

I bleeeeeeve I'd gutter or channel the flow to one side or the other of the
yard where the the disturbance wouldn't be so unsightly and I'd use a
trencher to bury the plastic.

Things get very simple when one doesn't know ALL the facts!  (forgive my
musings)
Tony in Texas
*