[Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316

Subject: [Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316
From: dmscheidt at gmail.com (David Scheidt)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:40:06 -0500

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896052/2002-Explorer-DTC-PCode-Engine-Computer-C
>> ontrol-System-Diagnosis
>>
>> P0316 is always thrown in combination with another P03xx code indicating
>> which cylinder misfired. B That manual is for a Explorer, but under OBD-II
>> most of the codes have common definitions.

And it's lying.  It's supposed to be the case that p0316 is thrown if
another misfire code is thrown, but I've seen fords with just p0316.
(And much more often, with P0300, indicating that the misfiring
cylinder isn't known, or that it's a bunch of them.)

ODBII codes have a syntax.  The first letter indicates the area: P for
powertrain, B for body, C for chassis.  The second digit is either a 0
or a 1; 0 are generic codes, 1 are manufacturer specific.  (Generally,
manufacturers use the same codes across all their vehicles, but not
always, particularly if the engine is someone else's.).  The third
digit tells you which subsystem the computer thinks the problem is in.
 (it can be wrong, of course)  1 is emissions controllers, 2 is
injection, 3 is ignition 4 is emissions, 5 is speed control (throttle
and throttle replacements), 6 is the computer itself, 7 and 8 are
transmission, 9 and 0 are reserved for future use.  The last two
digits are problem specific.

Not incidently, Ford have a series of P13xx codes that identify which
coil is going bad.  (I don't remember what they are though.)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com